Friday, February 6, 2009

Accidental Leader

I am an accidental leader. Seth Godin says that to be a leader you
first have to make a choice to lead. Well, I made that choice a very
long time ago, but it wasn't until recently that I actually started
leading. Humorously, I actually started leading just after I had given
up on the very idea and just started trying to get things done. This
is why I feel like an accidental leader.

In fact I am not an accidental leader. I just finally got out of my
own way. I just stopped looking for the credit that I was due and just
worked to do the right thing. I was given the title "Lead" and did a
pretty bang up job. But when the job was finished and I had to move on
to something else, I remained a leader, but was happy just being one
of the troops again.

My next step is to figure out how not to be an accidental leader, but
to sucessfully create a tribe and move them in a direction
purposefully. The first couple of things to work on are:

* learn to not scare people with my passion
* learn to effectively communicate goals and direction
* learn to communicate in a way that is not perceived to be grumpy

The second item above will be worked on through this blog. I can learn
that through writing. The other two will require conversations with
people about things that I am passionate or upset about. Most of the
perceived grumpiness comes from quick statements, replies, or requests
that don't have the appropriate amount of politeness to buffer the
thought being communicated. I believe that will be my most challenging
change.

No more accidents!

1 comment:

Matt McKnight said...

Not that it's completely relevant, but you can get this book for a penny + shipping: Getting out of your own way at work

Anyway, I think a little bit of leadership is sometimes just going first. You're pretty good at that, gathering up enough confidence to just do what you think is the right thing and then doing it. You just need to worry a little less about the inevitable slings and arrows...